Sunday, January 23, 2011

Seven of Swords


                   How you live your life is your business and nobody else's.  Do what you've got to do.

     One of the meanings for this card is "Reject outside expectations for an individually fashioned lifestyle." I am drawn to this message at this time in my life. I have always preached to be true to yourself and I thought I was following my own advice but there were aspects of my life that were being directed by what people expected of me. Questions like "What's the matter with me? Why am I so emotional? Am I being too demanding? Do I need to be more flexible?" and so on to infinity, were normal for me. I pretty much questioned every emotional response I had as being unreasonable. I tried to conform to how I thought I should be at this point in my life. It suddenly dawned on me about a month ago that these emotions are trying to tell me something and I should be listening to them instead of explaining them away. I mean really listen to them; talk to them, feel them, allow them to be, hear what they were telling me. And holy shit, what a giant difference this tiny adjustment has made made. The first day I felt lighter than I had in years, I felt like I was let out of jail, I felt more like myself than I have ever felt. And I am shocked to realize that the expectations were not coming from outside but from what I thought people expected of me. I'm the outside influence.  My life hasn't changed so much from the outside looking in but I can't begin to explain how much it has changed from the inside looking out. Just by listening.
What are your emotions telling you? Are you listening? Are you honouring them? Share your stories with me. I really want to hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment